Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Malawi? Where is Malawi?

Well, here we go.  While sitting in class at Mercer University last October, Dr. Gyagenda came to talk to my class about an opportunity to go to Africa.  Before hearing where, when, or how much it would cost, I said to myself, "I am going."  Dr. Gyagenda told our class that the trip was a Fulbright-Hays Fellowship. All expenses paid?  I'm in.  He then told us it was to Malawi, Africa. I quickly googled Malawi on my phone under the table.  Eastern Africa with no political termoil?  I'm in.  Then he told us that the trip was for 4 weeks.  Four weeks!  I'm out.  How could I leave my five-year-old and three-year-old for 4 weeks?  I thought about the trip all that night during class.  Arriving home, I told my husband the pros and cons of the trip.  His first reaction was, "You have to go.  The kdis will be fine and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity."  Great hubby, right? Talking to him that night helped me to realize that I really did want to go. 

I had two weeks to complete the application process which included
(1) A narrative explaining how the project will influence changes in your professional practice
(2) Three recommendation letters from 1) your peer, 2) your principal, and 3) your professor
(3) A current resume/vitae
(4) Teaching Certificate
(5) At least three years of teaching experince
(6) Evidence of accomplishments in teaching
 
Not too bad.  I completed the requirements and waited. 
 
Right after Christmas, I got a call from Dr. Vokhiwa (the professor leading the trip) and was told that I was selected to interview for the Fulbright-Hays project in Malawi.  We scheduled to interview for Friday, January 11, at 3:00.
 
I worked that day, left early and changed clothes in the car.  I arrived at the Mercer University campus in Henry County and was led to teh waiting room where all the applicants were being held prior to the oral interviews.   Peeking in the interview room , I could see a panel of interviewers seated in a square around the room with one chair in the middle for the interviewee to sit.  This looked serious.  I sat to wait and listened to all the other applicants talking.  Some had already been interviewed and were sharing some of the tough questions and their answers.  I took this time to review the goals of the project and prepare. 
 
The interview went very well and I felt causously optomistic.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment